We celebrate International Women’s Day (IWD) on March 8 of every year to recognize the contribution of women globally. This year’s theme for IWD is Embracing Equity. It’s a call to action for us to advocate for gender equity and equal rights for women. Individually, we can do our part to show our support for women all the time. Not just one day each year. In this blog post, I suggest five genuine ways you can show your support for women on International Women’s Day 2023.
I mentioned empowering ourselves as well because I think change starts at home. It’s difficult to accept bad treatment from others when we promote healthy self-love.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links including Amazon Associates affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase after following one of these links I may get a small commission. There’s no extra cost to you.
Educate yourself and others
- Read about the history of International Women’s Day and the fight for women’s rights
- Educate your children and others on the importance of gender equity and the challenges faced by women globally
- Learn about women whose fight for their own personal freedom has paved the way for many of the freedoms and rights we enjoy today.
Donate to organizations supporting women
- Support organizations working to empower and uplift women
- Think about donating to organizations providing education, healthcare, and resources to women in need such as Kiva.org
- Volunteer at soup kitchens, in women’s shelters, or help a nonprofit to engage their women’s audience
Advocate for women in your community
- Shop women-owned businesses. Join and support women-led organizations such as NAWBO
- Babysit or grocery shop for a solo mom in your neighborhood or church
- Speak up against gender discrimination and support policies promoting gender equity
- Support women unfairly incarcerated while their children are placed with strangers who abuse them
- Vote for those who respect women and treat them as equal human beings
Celebrate women’s achievements
- Highlight the achievements of women in your life and community
- Promote and attend events recognizing women’s contributions to society
- Recognize and lift up another woman in your social media feed. Provide positive feedback and give a thumbs up to their post. Every now and then, send a DM letting someone know how much you enjoy and admire their work.
Take action for women’s rights
- Support and participate in women’s rights campaigns and movements
- Advocate for women’s rights through activism and policy change
- Don’t accept ‘less than’ in your own personal relationships. Advocate for yourself as well. It’s how you lead by example.
- Create memories with your children by encouraging them to show respect for the work women do, especially around the home.
International Women’s Day 2023 presents an opportunity to reflect on the progress women have made toward gender equality and the work that still needs to be done.
As individuals, we can play a vital role in promoting gender equity and supporting women’s rights. By educating ourselves and others, donating to organizations supporting women, advocating for women in our communities, celebrating women’s achievements, and taking action for our own personal rights, we can show genuine support for women. Not just on March 8 but year-round.
Let’s work together to create a more equitable and just world for all.
- International Women’s Day. (2023). Retrieved from https://www.internationalwomensday.com/
- United Nations Women. (2023). International Women’s Day 2023. Retrieved from https://www.unwomen.org/en/news/events/2023/03/event-international-womens-day-2023